I've been watching the EEV Blog videos by David Jones recently and was inspired by some of his repairs to give it a go myself. I found an old hard disk recorder, a Hitachi HDR080 that I'd stuffed away in a dark corner of my spare room. It had completely died a few years ago. There was no power getting to either the hard disk or the front control panel. I suspected a power supply failure a first inspection revealed an electrolytic capacitor with a domed top. You can see the offending capacitor in the photo below left. I found a spare and replaced it. It's the big black on the left of the centre photo below.
This did the trick and the recorder powered up. Unfortunately it failed to properly tune in all the channels. Playback was fine but recording a new channel gave it problems. A bit of an internet search revealed that in 2012 my local TV transmitter had it's analogue signal turned off. Even though my recorder has a digital tuner this causes problems for some reason. I did try searching for a firmware update, but to no avail. According to some forums Hitachi did offer to upgrade the software if you sent your unit back, but that was more than 3 years ago so I think I will call this one a done. A successful repair, but unfortunately scuppered by things out of my control :-x